FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Contact: The National Board of Directors
Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc. Releases a Statement on the Sorority’s Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
By now news of the presence of COVID-19, referred to as Coronavirus has become widespread throughout the nation. We send the following communication not only to our members, but to the public as this time is challenging for all of us. The health and safety of our members and community is paramount. We are continuously reviewing and responding to local, state, and federal recommendations regarding the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation.
The sorority is taking steps to protect our members, affiliate members, and interests. We are complying with all university directives around programming and campus activity.
In order to best serve our members, we are exploring new technologies to deliver information and resources. We are dedicated to the continued support of our members and community goals throughout this public health crisis and will be communicating on a regular basis to our members. We recognize the full impact that this pandemic will have on our society is unknown at this time, and we are utilizing every resource at our disposal to make informed choices and support our members through this difficult time.
The Board of Directors is here to help support our community during the crisis and to help stabilize and move it forward in the months and years after.
Chi Upsilon Sigma ® has been in existence since April 29, 1980, incepted on the New Brunswick Campus of Rutgers – the State University of New Jersey. Our founders are 7 Latinas who had the desire to create an organization to promote leadership among the Latino community and our membership has since grown to incorporate women of all ethnicities. Chi Upsilon Sigma has devoted itself to increasing awareness amongst ourselves, and our communities about important political, social, cultural, and educational issues and servicing the communities around us.
Information for Parents and Families
The National Board of Directors has put together a letter for parents and family members to assure them that the organization is responding to the concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus. Please feel free to share this letter with your families as well as the families of our interests and prospective members.
- General Information and Fact Sheets | CDC
- COVID-19 Live Map | Johns Hopkins University
- COVID-19 Checklists | Ohio Department of Health
- NALFO Response to COVID-19 | NALFO
- A Guide to Helping & Getting Help During Coronavirus | CNN
- How to be Sanitary with the Stuff You’re Bringing Home | Vox
- Donate rewards to social justice efforts, coronavirus relief | CreditCards.com
- Navigating financial help when leaving an abusive relationship | CreditCards.com
End of Life and Bereavement
Family and Home
- Information for Family and Home Life | CDC
- Information for Children and Pregnant Women | CDC
- Strategies to Help Children Cope with the New Reality Created by COVID-19 | Rutgers Today
- Tips for Working Parents Turned Teachers | Rutgers Today
- Protecting Your Child Against Coronavirus | Business Insider
- Tips for Caregivers of High-Risk Populations | CDC
Mental Health & Wellness
- COVID-19 Resource & Information Guide | NAMI
- Resources to Support Mental Health & Coping | Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Sanvello – Managing Anxiety During Coronavirus
- Shine – We Asked Experts How to Cope with Your Coronavirus Anxiety
- GoodTherapy – Coping With Secondary Trauma: A Loved One’s Guide